Friday, May 25, 2007

Day 2 at St Maur - is this what rejection feels like?

I understood Pastor Nguyen correctly. Today I did something that I never thought I would do: stand at the corner of the Metro and hand out Christian literature. I survived! It's not nearly as frightening as I expected.

The background:
The St Maur church is reaching out to the chinese community by inviting people to come to the church for one night to watch a chinese film made by actors/actresses who became Christians. The film has a Christian message to it.

The task:
Hand out the Chinese Christian newspaper with the film invitation to restaurants owners and Chinese students on the univeristy campus and around the metro in 28 C weather.

The audience:
Mandarin speakers, or people who can read chinese (there aren't too many cantonese speaking people)

First of all, I had to identify the asian looking people. I then had to approach them to figure out if they speak mandarin. I learned how to say "Hello, I'm giving you this newspaper for you to read" in Mandarin. I can barely speak cantonese, let alone mandarin. I felt myself hoping that the person can speak french. Second of all, I need to learn to detect if the person is Chinese. I approached a Korean by accident and a few second generation people who can't read! What I noticed is that the females tend to be more receptive, asking questions, and just being polite enough to listen. The restaurant owners recognized the pastor because I guess he comes by often to invite them to church events. The Pastor indicated to me that perseverance is key with the restaurant owners. If they get used to you coming by, and one day you stop coming by, they will start missing you.

Sure we got a few rejections of people saying that they don't want our stuff. I even found one of our newspapers in the garbage outside of the metro. However, this was surprisingly easier to do than I expected. Is this why God placed me in sales.... to train for this: approach strangers and handle rejection?

I asked the pastor if he is open to having more people come for short term missions and he said Oui! (YES!). Here are the needs:
1. He needs a few people to come for max 10 days to teach the 2nd generation how to lead worship (Only need to know how to speak french and english)
2. He needs someone to look after the 2nd generation full time - long term, for a French Service (need to know French)
3. Likes the idea of exchange of ideas, observation, and stuff so a group of maximum 7 people for a max of 10 days (kind of what I am doing right now - you learn from them, they learn from us)
4. They need mandarin speaking pastors full time, long term and a lot of the churches in Paris

At this point, St Maur church is really looking for people to disciple the second generation.

That's it for me. Tonight I'm heading out to Montparnasse with the locals.

No comments: